Entries for the 2018 Walkley Young Australian Journalist of the Year Awards open on March 12. The Awards are for young journalists employed full-time or freelance who have self-published or had work published or broadcast through Australian media outlets, including online publishers, between April 27, 2017 and April 26, 2018.
Thanks to the support of the Jibb Foundation, the entry fee is just $50 (entry is still free for MEAA members).
The overall winner prize is a two-week trip to US newsrooms and a stellar mentorship program.
The 2018 categories:
• All media: Short-form journalism (supported by ABC)
• All media: Long-form feature or special (supported by Fairfax Media)
• All media: Coverage of community & regional affairs
• All media: Visual storytelling (supported by Sky News)
• All media: Public service journalism (supported by News Corp Australia)
• Student journalist of the year (supported by Macleay College)
The Walkley Young Australian Journalist of the Year ( supported by the Jibb Foundation): Winners from each category are automatically nominated. Not open for self nomination.
Top photo: Some of the winners from the 2017 awards