The year is nearly over when it comes to the management of the Australian commercial radio sector.
Nearly over…the results of the final radio ratings survey of year from GfK still have to be released next week.
The industry’s trade organisation Commercial Radio Australia held its final board meeting for the year yesterday. At the meeting the organisation’s chairman Adam Lang, chief executive of Macquarie Media, stepped down from the role after four years. Lang was elected chairman at a board meeting in October 2014. He will remain on the board and retain his role as chair of the CRA research committee.
Both the outgoing and incoming chairman were guests at the annual industry Christmas drinks event held in Sydney last night. Lang didn’t stay for long as he had his own Christmas party to attend last night.
Blackley said he was excited about the appointment and he said he was optimistic about the continued success of the sector.
Blackley has been a Commercial Radio Australia board member since he took control at SCA over three years ago.
Blackley said: “The commercial radio industry is a dynamic and innovative multiplatform medium and I look forward to working collaboratively as chair of CRA with all key stakeholders including the networks and station members, industry commentators and observers as well as key political and government agencies.”
Dr Grant Cameron, director of Grant Broadcasters Group and vice-chairman, CRA regional committee resigned from the board after 12 years. Alison Cameron, appointed CEO of the family-owned regional broadcaster in July this year, was elected to the CRA board and will also serve as the vice-chair, CRA regional committee.
Ciaran Davis, managing director and chief executive officer of ARN and HT&E returns to the CRA board, replacing outgoing ARN CEO Rob Atkinson.
CRA board members at the event last night included Grant Broadcasters’ Grant Cameron, Nova Entertainment’s Cathy O’Connor and Super Radio Network’s Greg Cupitt.
Special guest joining CRA chief executive Joan Warner and her team was Minister for Communications Mitch Fifield.
Also in attendance were ACMA’s Creina Chapman and Fiona Cameron, ARN’s Anthony Xydis and Deborah Clay, Nova Entertainment’s Michael Duncan, Triple M’s Becko, The Chaser’s Dominic Knight, Grant Broadcasting’s Janet Cameron, Jeremy Simpson and Ric Lenarcic, The Comms Department’s Bec Brown and Tina Liptai and Mediaweek’s James Manning, Tyson Young and Trent Thomas.
The CRA Board is:
• Grant Blackley, chief executive officer and managing director of Southern Cross Austereo, Chair of Commercial Radio Australia.
• Alison Cameron, chief executive officer of Grant Broadcasters Group, elected as Vice-Chairman Regional.
• Adam Lang – Chief Executive Officer – Macquarie Media Ltd
• Kevin Blyton – Managing Director, Capital Radio Network
• Greg Cupitt – Consultant, Super Radio Network
• Michael Harvey – Chief Operating Officer and Chief Financial Officer, Australian Radio Network
• Ciaran Davis – Managing Director & Chief Executive Officer, Australian Radio Network & HT&E
• Lisa Young – Chief Financial Officer – Macquarie Media Ltd
• Cathy O’Connor – Chief Executive Officer, Nova Entertainment
• Tony Hudson – General Counsel & Company Secretary – Southern Cross Austereo
• Peter Colosimo – Group General Manager – Nova Entertainment