Fairfax Media’s four metro titles have recorded their biggest cross-platorm readership for 2016 in the latest emma figures released for 12 months to May 2016.
The Sydney Morning Herald had the highest cross-platform readership of all Fairfax titles, reaching more than 6.2 million people.
This is the third consecutive month where Fairfax has recorded a reach of more than 13 million – that is more than 70% of Australians.
See the full release and results for Fairfax below:
Commenting on the May 2016 emma survey results, Fairfax Media’s Australian Publishing Media Managing Director, Allen Williams, said:
“The Sydney Morning Herald, The Age, The Australian Financial Review and The Canberra Times all achieved their biggest cross-platform audiences for 2016.
“The cross-platform growth underlines the value and trust more than 13 million people place in Fairfax Media’s expansive platform of news, information and entertainment each month.
“The Sydney Morning Herald reinforced its position as Australia’s number one news destination, reaching 6.2 million people across print and digital platforms, 225,000 more people than April and 1.7 million more (+38%) than its nearest competitor.
“The Age reached its biggest cross-platform audience so far for 2016 reaching 3.6 million people, with a total digital audience of 2.7 million.
“The Australian Financial Review’s total cross-platform audience of 1.8 million in May was 103,000 higher (+6%) than in April and The Financial Review print grew 40,000 (4%) year on year.
“In May, The Canberra Times reached its biggest audience for the year, growing 8% month-on-month across print and digital platforms, with total readership of 910,000.
“Fairfax Media regional and rural mastheads reached 4.5 million readers across print and digital platforms, demonstrating the vital role each plays in its respective community.
“Fairfax Media’s extensive multi-platform network connected advertisers to more than 13.2 million Australians (73% of the population aged 14 and over) in May, and the engaging and compelling content we consistently deliver will continue to drive audience growth.”
Key emmaTM monthly readership highlights for the month of May 2016 include:
Fairfax Media Total Monthly Reach
- 13.2 million across print and digital platforms: third consecutive month reaching more than 13 million
- 11.3 million people via desktop/laptop, smartphone and tablet: reaching 63% of Australians 14+
- 6.2 million people across print:
- 4.2 million read metro or national newspapers
- 3.1 million read regional or community titles
The Sydney Morning Herald Total Monthly Reach
- Biggest cross-platform audience for 2016: reaching 6.2 million people across print and digital, up 225,000 month-on-month
- Australia’s #1 national masthead: reaching 1.7 million more people than its nearest competitor
- Biggest audience across smh.com.au on desktop/laptop, smartphone and tablet for 2016: reaching 5.0 million people
- 2.1 million read the SMH in print
The Age Total Monthly Reach
- Biggest cross-platform audience for 2016: reaching 3.6 million people across print and digital, up 48,000 month-on-month
- 2.7 million people across theage.com.au on desktop/laptop, smartphone and tablet
- 1.5 million read The Age in print
The Australian Financial Review Total Monthly Reach
- Biggest cross-platform audience for 2016: reaching 1.8 million people across print and digital, up 103,000 month-on-month
- Biggest audience across afr.com on desktop/laptop, smartphone and tablet: reaching 952,000 people
- 955,000 read the The Financial Review in print
- Biggest cross-platform audience for 2016: reaching 910,000 people across print and digital, up 64,000 month-on-month
- 792,000 people across canberratimes.com.au on desktop/laptop, smartphone and tablet
- 205,000 read the The Canberra Times in print
Fairfax Media’s Community, Regional and Rural Titles Total Monthly Reach
- 4.5 million readership across print and digital platforms
- 1.9 million people across desktop/laptop, smartphone and tablet
- 3.1 million across print
Note: This was the fifth month in which the emmaTM database has fused the IAB digital currency data, Nielsen Digital Ratings Monthly (DRM), providing more accurate total cross-platform and digital audience numbers that include mobile and tablet audiences. Due to the change in digital measurement methodology, there is now a trend break in the total cross-platform and digital numbers, and change calculations (year on year) are not valid.
Source: emmaTM (Enhanced Media Metrics Australia) conducted by Ipsos MediaCT, People 14+ for the 12 months to May 2016.
Nielsen Digital Ratings May 2016, People 14+ (^ Fairfax Media total reach includes Allure Media digital properties).
Nielsen Digital Ratings Monthly, May 2016, People 2+ (Computer); People 18+ (Smartphone/Tablet).