As of yesterday, users of popular music discovery app Shazam can follow the musical tastes of the likes of Pitbull, Calvin Harris, Jason Derulo and Coldplay through seeing what they’re Shazaming.
“Our users Shazam over 20 million times each day to discover the music playing around them,” said Rich Riley, Shazam CEO. “Now, those Shazams transform into an ongoing relationship with artists, giving users a truly unique place to get great music content.
“The biggest artists in the world are also the biggest fans. They use Shazam every day to explore new music, and for the first time ever, their fans can share in those moments as they happen,” said Daniel Danker, Chief Product Officer at Shazam.
New discoveries from artists that users have Shazamed appear automatically in Shazam. As users browse through new artists, they can follow them with the touch of a button to see what those artists are Shazaming. Fans will also be kept up-to-date about new singles, albums, and videos from the artists they follow. And with the launch of Apple Music, fans can listen to the songs artists Shazam by tapping on the new “Listen on Apple Music” button.
These artists will be the first to let fans in on their discoveries, together they have over 600 million Shazam followers.
• Pitbull – 44.7m Followers
• Calvin Harris – 42.0m Followers
• Avicii – 41.4m Followers
• Maroon 5 – 30.2m Followers
• Macklemore and Ryan Lewis – 29.4m Followers
• Jason Derulo – 28.7m Followers
• OneRepublic – 27.7m Followers
• Wiz Khalifa – 27.1m Followers
• Imagine Dragons – 25.3m Followers
• Coldplay – 22.9m Followers
• Usher – 20.9m Followers
• Robin Thicke – 20.1m Followers
• Enrique Iglesias – 20m Followers
• Clean Bandit – 18.6m Followers
• One Direction – 17.6m Followers
• Linkin Park – 14.0m Followers
• Alicia Keys – 13.6m Followers
• Meghan Trainor – 13.5m Followers
• Tove Lo – 12.4m Followers
• Alesso – 11.8m Followers
• Shakira – 11.7m Followers
• Selena Gomez – 11.0m Followers
• Mariah Carey – 10.3m Followers
• YG – 9.8m Followers
• Fall Out Boy – 8.3m Followers
• Shaggy – 7.3m Followers
• Pearl Jam – 6.1m Followers
• Zac Brown Band – 4.2m Followers
• Fifth Harmony – 3.7m Followers
• Nick Jonas – 3.6m Followers
• Hunter Hayes – 3.5m Followers
• Adam Lambert – 3.1m Followers
“Shazam is one of my favourite ways to discover music. I’m excited for the next step in its evolution, and happy that Fort Minor and Linkin Park can play a role,” said Mike Shinoda of Linkin Park.
“As an artist, I’m a big fan of discovering new music and Shazam helps me keep a pulse on that. I’m stoked to be able to share what I’m into with millions of fellow music fans,” said Pete Wentz of Fall Out Boy.
Other changes in functionality came in yesterday’s update, including a personal music home, a follow/unfollow option and artist pages. Additionally, the app will now release data on how many times a track has been Shazamed via Shazam Counts.
The updates come off the back of May’s introduction of visual recognition capabilities.
[ot-video type=”youtube” url=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IzK9qtb8Gc”]