Mediaweek editor James Manning’s weekly analysis of Australian box office revenues, as supplied by the Motion Picture Distributors Association of Australia (MPDAA).
Box Office: Spider-Man stays on top as new releases fail
• Disney was not the only beneficiary of the holiday period
Box Office: Disney does it again as Spiderman swings past $10m
• There was only one new entry to the top five this week- Spiderman: Homecoming
Box Office: Toy Story keeps Disney on top as holidays start
• Overall another good weekend for the Australian box office making $18.77m
Box Office: Families rule with Toy Story 4 and Secret Life of Pets
• The fourth installment of Pixar's original feature film has lapped the competition
Box Office: A Hemsworth hit – Men in Black is back and #1
• The only film to drop out of the top five this week is Godzilla: King of Monsters
Box Office: Aladdin is movie magic after being #1 for three weeks
• The Australian box office ended its streak of positive gains after declining by 10%
Box Office: Aladdin survives Godzilla and Rocketman to stay #1
• A music-heavy top two dances on top of the King of Monsters
Box Office: Disney finds box office magic with Aladdin
• Disney now has two films in the top five
Box Office: Avengers: Endgame falls to John Wick
• John Wick was the only new entry to the top five this
Box Office: How much gas does Endgame have in the tank?
• Endgame only just held onto top this week, nearly being knocked off by Pokemon: Detective Pickachu.
Box Office: How far can Avengers: Endgame climb?
• Endgame is now number three on the all-time Australian box office list
Avengers: Endgame obliterates another Aussie box office record
Avengers: Endgame has ended its first week with $50.13m
Box Office: Avengers Endgame leaves all in its wake making $34.11m
• The film had a historic weekend
Box Office: Easter sales flat ahead of Avengers: Endgame release
• There was only one new release in the top five
Box Office: Shazam! holds at #1, Wonder Park goes top 5, Hellboy doesn’t
• Wonder Park is the only new release to go top five
Box Office: Shazam! grabs top spot with $4.5m on big weekend
* A new super hero flick joins the fray
Box Office Report: Us takes over $1m more than Dumbo
• Horror outperforms family in big opening weekends
Box Office: Captain Marvel cruises past $30m on third weekend, Lego 2 opens #2
• Two new releases opened wide and they both made the top five.
Box Office: Captain Marvel’s movie magic – $26m after two weekends
• Two new releases in the top five which had just over $1m between them.
Captain Marvel ignites ticket sales as weekend gross lifts 111%
• The new movie was the only major release on the weekend.
Box Office Report: Oscar winners the bright spot as weekend slips under $9m
• Three new releases opened wide with two making the top five
Box Office: Just two Oscar winners still writing good business in top 10
• The total haul from the top 20 movies dipped 27% this week
Box Office Report: Alita Fights Her Way to the Top
• Cyberpunk action movie based on manga series lifts box office 30%
Box Office: Weekend dips below $10m, Queen biopic’s record earn
There were four movies earning over $1m on the weekend.
Box Office: The Mule stays on top as Bohemian Rhapsody Returns to the Top Five
• Bohemian Rhapsody returns in its fourteenth week
Box Office: The Mule and Greenbook add some Colour to Top 5
• The Mule debuts at #1 as Clint Eastwood proves that he can still draw a crowd
Australian films contribute 4.5% to second biggest box office year
• Australian audiences have voted with their feet
Box Office: Glass breaks through to top spot
• In a week with a very flat box office nine films each cracked the $1m dollar mark
Box Office: Aquaman reclaims top spot
• Aquaman returns to the top and Bohemian Rhapsody continues to hang around.
Box Office: Dreamworks and Disney Dominate
• The school holidays continues to produce big numbers
Box Office: Boxing Day Bonanza ends with Aquaman as King
• Disney and DC top Boxing Day weekend
Box Office: Bumblebee wins last weekend before Boxing Day
• The box office was primarily supported by movies experiencing healthy extended runs
Box Office: The Grinch and Spider-Man tussle for top spot
• Holiday season is kicking into gear with two family friendly films in top spot
Box Office: Creed II punches up a storm, four movies all $2m+
• Both films cracked the $2 million in strong opening weekends
Box office: Fantastic Beasts & Bohemian Rhapsody again leaders
• Bohemian Rhapsody and A Star is Born add to gaudy totals
Box Office: Fantastic Beasts Finds Top Spot
• Queen still cracks 4m in third weekend
Box Office: Bohemian Rhapsody still rocking theatres
• Music dominates Australian cinemas with Queen and Lady Gaga tops
Box Office : Crazy little thing called Bohemian Rhapsody #1
• Queen bio rocked the box office in its first weekend in theatres.
Box Office: A Star Is Born survives Halloween
Mediaweek digital editor Trent Thomas examines this weekends box office numbers.
Box Office: First Man lands at #2 in first week
Mediaweek digital editor Trent Thomas examines last weekend's box office.
Box office: Venom explodes into cinemas
Mediaweek digital editor Trent Thomas rounds up last weekend's box office results.
Box office: Johnny English Strikes Again… Again
Johnny English retains top spot to begin the holidays.
Box Office: Johnny English and Ladies In Black top the chart
• Rowan Atkinson proves his staying power with strong opening weekend.
Box Office: Predator ends up #2 in first week
Mediaweek digital editor Trent Thomas examines last weekends box office.
Box Office: Thrills and chills enter the Top 5
• Crazy Rich Asians stays on top in a new-look top five
Box Office: Crazy Rich Asians does crazy $5.21m to take top spot
Mediaweek digital editor Trent Thomas rounds up the latest box office numbers from the weekend.
Box Office: Monster shark holds off Crazy Rich Asians & Jane Fonda
• Monster shark holds off Crazy Rich Asians and Jane Fonda
Box Office: The Meg opens #1, M:I hits $15m, Mamma Mia passes $20m
Mediaweek editor James Manning examines the latest box office report.