Mediaweek editor James Manning’s weekly analysis of Australian box office revenues, as supplied by the Motion Picture Distributors Association of Australia (MPDAA).
Box Office: Captain Marvel’s movie magic – $26m after two weekends
• Two new releases in the top five which had just over $1m between them.
Captain Marvel ignites ticket sales as weekend gross lifts 111%
• The new movie was the only major release on the weekend.
Box Office Report: Oscar winners the bright spot as weekend slips under $9m
• Three new releases opened wide with two making the top five
Box Office: Just two Oscar winners still writing good business in top 10
• The total haul from the top 20 movies dipped 27% this week
Box Office Report: Alita Fights Her Way to the Top
• Cyberpunk action movie based on manga series lifts box office 30%
Box Office: Weekend dips below $10m, Queen biopic’s record earn
There were four movies earning over $1m on the weekend.
Box Office: The Mule stays on top as Bohemian Rhapsody Returns to the Top Five
• Bohemian Rhapsody returns in its fourteenth week
Box Office: The Mule and Greenbook add some Colour to Top 5
• The Mule debuts at #1 as Clint Eastwood proves that he can still draw a crowd
Australian films contribute 4.5% to second biggest box office year
• Australian audiences have voted with their feet
Box Office: Glass breaks through to top spot
• In a week with a very flat box office nine films each cracked the $1m dollar mark
Box Office: Aquaman reclaims top spot
• Aquaman returns to the top and Bohemian Rhapsody continues to hang around.
Box Office: Dreamworks and Disney Dominate
• The school holidays continues to produce big numbers
Box Office: Boxing Day Bonanza ends with Aquaman as King
• Disney and DC top Boxing Day weekend
Box Office: Bumblebee wins last weekend before Boxing Day
• The box office was primarily supported by movies experiencing healthy extended runs
Box Office: The Grinch and Spider-Man tussle for top spot
• Holiday season is kicking into gear with two family friendly films in top spot
Box Office: Creed II punches up a storm, four movies all $2m+
• Both films cracked the $2 million in strong opening weekends
Box office: Fantastic Beasts & Bohemian Rhapsody again leaders
• Bohemian Rhapsody and A Star is Born add to gaudy totals
Box Office: Fantastic Beasts Finds Top Spot
• Queen still cracks 4m in third weekend
Box Office: Bohemian Rhapsody still rocking theatres
• Music dominates Australian cinemas with Queen and Lady Gaga tops
Box Office : Crazy little thing called Bohemian Rhapsody #1
• Queen bio rocked the box office in its first weekend in theatres.
Box Office: A Star Is Born survives Halloween
Mediaweek digital editor Trent Thomas examines this weekends box office numbers.
Box Office: First Man lands at #2 in first week
Mediaweek digital editor Trent Thomas examines last weekend's box office.
Box office: Venom explodes into cinemas
Mediaweek digital editor Trent Thomas rounds up last weekend's box office results.
Box office: Johnny English Strikes Again… Again
Johnny English retains top spot to begin the holidays.
Box Office: Johnny English and Ladies In Black top the chart
• Rowan Atkinson proves his staying power with strong opening weekend.
Box Office: Predator ends up #2 in first week
Mediaweek digital editor Trent Thomas examines last weekends box office.
Box Office: Thrills and chills enter the Top 5
• Crazy Rich Asians stays on top in a new-look top five
Box Office: Crazy Rich Asians does crazy $5.21m to take top spot
Mediaweek digital editor Trent Thomas rounds up the latest box office numbers from the weekend.
Box Office: Monster shark holds off Crazy Rich Asians & Jane Fonda
• Monster shark holds off Crazy Rich Asians and Jane Fonda
Box Office: The Meg opens #1, M:I hits $15m, Mamma Mia passes $20m
Mediaweek editor James Manning examines the latest box office report.
Box Office: Mission Impossible and Mamma Mia! continue to drive box office dollars
Mediaweek editor James Manning rounds up this weeks box office report.
Box Office: Mission Impossible lifts weekend, accounts for nearly 50% of tickets
Mediaweek editor James Manning rounds up this weeks box office from August 2-5.
Box Office: Mamma Mia! We have a hit again – $6m opening weekend
• Mamma Mia! We have a hit again with $6m opening weekend
Box Office: Marvel stays on top with Ant-man and the Wasp
Marvel continues its run of hits with its second week on top of the Australian box office.
Box Office: The hits keep coming for Marvel with Ant-Man And The Wasp
The Marvel hit factory keeps turning out massive movie events.
Box Office: Dinosaurs and Disney outperform Hotel Transylvania 3
The box office for the start of the new financial year was down 13% on the previous weekend.
Box Office: Dinosaurs run wild as Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom scares up $10m
The weekend box office revenue was up 13% on the last weekend.
Box Office: Walt Disney’s Incredibles 2 opens with $10m+ weekend
Revenues for the top 20 movies on the weekend surged 32% on the previous weekend.
Box Office: Big swell for Ocean’s 8 with $5.5m opening, weekend up 28%
The box office gross for the top 20 movies over the weekend was up 28%.
Box Office: Solo slips to #2 as Deadpool 2 resumes top spot with $30m so far
The first winter weekend was frosty in more ways than one for exhibitors.
Box Office: Stars Wars not travelling at warp speed, but still opens at #1
The force was not so strong for Solo: A Star Wars story
Avengers: Infinity War pulls new box office record, now hotter than Star Wars
The Marvel film has become the third-biggest movie ever in Australia and is the fourth biggest in the world.
Box Office: Despite opening up against the royal wedding, Deadpool 2 finds $12m
Mediaweek editor James Manning looks at the weekend box office for May 17-20, 2018
Box Office: Infinity War’s $54m in 3 weeks, Deadpool 2 & Han Solo next
Mediaweek editor James Manning looks at the weekend box office for May 10-13, 2018
Box Office: Avengers Infinity War now over $45m after just two weekends
Mediaweek editor James Manning looks at the weekend box office for May 3-6, 2018
$21m! Marvel’s Avengers: Infinity War records second-best weekend ever
The takings for the top 20 movies over the weekend were $28.83m.
Box Office: Amy Schumer storms the chart as I Feel Pretty debuts at #1
• Amy Schumer storms the chart as I Feel Pretty debuts at #1
Box Office: Rampage #1 – another hit move for Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson
• Dwayne Johnson doing what he does best – generating ticket sales