To date, ABC’s eight-day coverage of the Invictus Games Sydney 2018 on the ABC main channel and ABC News has reached 3.9 million people across the five capital cities, representing 23% of the metro population, reports the broadcaster.
The audience numbers will be updated when regional and 7-day consolidated are confirmed.
Michael Mason, director ABC regional and local, said: “Australians have connected strongly with the Invictus Games Sydney 2018 during the past week, and the ABC has been central to that. Our ABC team has brought the stories of the Invictus Games Sydney 2018 competitors and their families to life over the past few months.
“In the past week of competition, we have brought audiences coverage of an unprecedented scale across the breadth of ABC digital and broadcast platforms – ABC TV, iview, radio, digital and social. It has been richly rewarding for the ABC to have worked on this event alongside so many inspiring people, and it has been equally rewarding to see how many Australians have enjoyed our coverage.”
ABC’s coverage highlights
• The Opening Ceremony was the most watched non-news program on the night with an average audience of 640,000, delivering the biggest Saturday night primetime share since March 2017 of 14.8%.
• Invictus Games Today, hosted by Chris Bath and Lehmo, averaged 416,000 viewers with a 10.3% share, and Australian Story’s Invictus special attracted an audience of 668,000 viewers.
• The Closing Ceremony drew an average audience of 579,000 and was #1 in its timeslot against Seven (Harry Potter and The Order of the Phoenix), Nine (Hey Mate – A Concert for the Farmers) and Ten (Ambulance Australia/NCIS: New Orleans).
• Across the period, the Invictus Games live streams generated a total of 119,000 plays.
• ABC News articles published last week generated 820,000 page views, with a total of 1.6 million page views for related articles in October to date.
Photo: ABC’s Invictus Games team including Chris Bath, Lehmo and Dylan Alcott
The fine print:
Figures based on overnight metro preliminary data
Source: Google Analytics, Apple News Analytics
Source: OzTAM, Overnight, Invictus Games Coverage, Closing Ceremony, Total People, 5 City Metro
Source: OzTAM, Overnight, Reach on ABC+ABC NEWS 20.10.2018-27.10.2018, includes Australian Story (inc rpt on 27.10.2018) + Catalyst Special, Without Limits, Fighting Spirit, You Can’t Ask That, Wheeling Diggers, Sports Highlights, Golden Moments, Opening Ceremony inc. pre show, Wheelchair Rugby, Invictus Games Today Highlights, Powerlifting, Athletics Track and Field, Invictus Games Sydney, Invictus Games Today, Competitor Profiles, Total People, 5 City Metro
Source: OzTAM VPM+Plays