Eighty eight per cent of Australia’s population are active internet users.
A research by creative agency We Are Social shows that that 21.18 million Australians access the internet via fixed and mobile connections.
The Digital in 2016 report profiled 229 countries, including Australia, on world’s digital, social and mobile use.
Report author Simon Kemp, We Are Social’s regional managing partner, Asia, says the 2016 report is a richer, more comprehensive report than ever before. It offers what Kemp calls “a healthy dose of global context, plenty of regional overviews and comparisons, followed by in-depth profiles of 30 of the world’s most important economies.”
The key statistics for digital, social, and mobile media in 2016 are:
• 3.42 billion internet users, equalling 46% global penetration;
• 2.31 billion social media users, delivering 31% global penetration;
• 3.79 billion unique mobile users, representing 51% global penetration;
• 1.97 billion mobile social media users, equating to 27% global penetration.
Since We Are Social’s January 2015 report, the numbers have increased as follows:
• The number of reported internet users is up by 10%, growing by 332 million;
• The number of reported social media is up by 10%, an increase of 219 million;
• Unique mobile users increased by 4% thanks to 141 million new users;
• Mobile social media users leapt 17%, adding 283 million new users.